Sunday 17 January 2016

Today I did this to my cab...

Today I spent some time working on my Enduro Racer cab, a couple of jobs needed completing. 1st up was to replace the rubber matting at the base of the cab.

The original stuff was dirty and worn.

I cut the new piece of matting using the original as a rough template and by placing the new matting on the cab and measuring and cutting.

New matting glued in place. Much better!

Next up I needed to look at handle bars and steering. Unlike my Hang-On cab the handle bars didn't centre themselves and were just floppy always leaning to one side. Looking in the Ops manual it really isn't clear how this part of the steering works, so I had to take it to bits...

Here's what I learnt. The main steering shaft has a brass collar connected to it, this part in turn is connected to a spring mechanism that should centre the bars. The problem with mine was that the screws that hold the brass collar in place had snapped so this part was just flapping around loose and not  returning the bars to the centre position.

The highlighted areas above show where the screw heads had snapped off, luckily for me I knew someone who could fix problem. The old screws were drilled out and then a new thread tapped into the metalwork. After a few hours of reassembling all the parts (It's tricky and there's very little space to get everything back together) the steering centres itself and makes the game play a lot better.